|University: Technical University of Košice|
|Faculty: Faculty of Electrical Engineering and Informatics|
|Department: Department of Computers and Informatics
|Course Number: 2609051||Course Name: Computer Networks|
|Type, scope and method of learning activities:
Course Type: Lecture, Laboratory exercise
Recommended scope of the course content (in hours):
Full-time study (hours per week): 2,2
Part-time study (hours per semester): 26,26
|Number of credits: 6|
|Recommended semester of study: ST|
|Recommended semester||Study programme||Study grade||Study Method|
|2.rok ST||Informatics (INF_Bc_D_sk)
|Level of study:|
|Course completion requirements:
Assessment and completion of the course: Credit test and examination
Continuous assessment: Student passes the continuous assessment and receives credits when he or she meets the requirement to obtain at least 21% out of 40%.
mid-term assessments on-line, 14 intermadiate assessments, 40% of the final evaluation
Final assessment: Student passes the final assessment and passes the examination when he or she meets the requirement to obtain at least 31% out of 60%.
10% final exam
50% verbal examination
Overall assessment: Overall assessment is the sum of the assessments obtained by students in the assessment period. The overall result is determined in accordance with the internal regulations of the Technical University in Košice. (Study Regulations, the internal regulation principles of doctoral studies)
Student will get familiar with essential terminology in the area of computer networks and principles of the information transmition in computer networks in the context of ISO-OSI and TCP-IP networking models. Student will get hands on labs in troubleshooting issues related to physical layer of the ISO-OSI refference model. Student will learn essentials of the routing during information transmission in network infrastructures. The course content covers two semesters of the Cisco Networking Academy Programme (CCNA1, CCNA2). After the course completition, the student is prepared for the industry certification of ICND1 (640-822). Student is allowed to use on-line study materials within the LMS system (www.netacad.com).
|Brief course content:
1. Introduction to computer networks
2. Layered model of the communication
3. Identication of the communication entities within the network infrastructures, addressing schemes.
4. Physical layer of the ISO-OSI model and its implementation
5. Examples of the network technologies for LAN and WAN infrastructures and the usage of the passive and active networking equipment.
6. Transport and network layer functionality and protocols assigned to layers.
7. Routing concepts in computer networks
8. Dynamic routing and routing protocols
9. Active components of the network infrastructure: router and its properties, essentials of the router configuration.
10. Addressing schemes.
11. Link state routing protocols
|Recommended Reference Sources:
1. Cisco Networking Academy Program : Semester 1 and 2 (Exploration version) - http://cisco.netacad.net
2. Jeff Doyle, Jeniffer Carol – Routing TCP/IP
3. CCNA Official Exam Certification Library (CCNA Exam 640-802), 2nd Edition
4. Andrew S. Tanenbaum, Computer Networks, Third Edition, 813 pages, ISBN-13: 978-0133499452
|Recommended optional program components:
|Languages required for the course completion:|
Total number of students assessed: 2332
doc. Ing. Peter Feciľak, PhD.
Ing. Miroslav Michalko, PhD.
doc. Ing. František Jakab, PhD.
|Last modified: 01.09.2022|
|Approved by: person(s) responsible for the study program|